View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #1911
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
“My life amounts to no more than one drop in a limitless ocean. Yet what is any ocean, but a multitude of drops?”
― David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas

How vulgar, this hankering after immortality, how vain, how false. Composers are merely scribblers of cave paintings. One writes music because winter is eternal and because, if one didn’t, the wolves and blizzards would be at one’s throat all the sooner.”
― David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas
In the process of reading Cloud Atlas now (about one quarter through). From that (so true):

Quote:
A question, Luisa?”

“Yes. Is there a new editorial policy no one’s told me about that excludes articles containing truth?”

“Hey, metaphysics seminar is on the roof. Just take the elevator up and keep walking until you hit the sidewalk. Anything is true if enough people believe it is. Nancy, what’ve you got for me?”
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
“Horrible possibility: if the geeks are right about Ohio, might they also be right about climate?”
- David Frum, former speechwriter for George W. Bush, on twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
I am reading all Haruki Murakami. I remember this quote:

"Every one of us is losing something precious to us," he says after the phone stops ringing. "Lost opportunities, lost possibilities, feelings we can never get back again. That's part of what it means to be alive. But inside our heads—at least that's where I imagine it—there's a little room where we store those memories. A room like the stacks in this library. And to understand the workings of our own heart we have to keep on making new reference cards. We have to dust things off every once in a while, let in fresh air, change the water in the flower vases. In other words, you'll live forever in your own private library."

in " Kafka on the shore" by Haruki Murakami
I read my first Murakami book a little under a year ago, and have now read a total of four. I like! This is from Norwegian Wood:

Quote:
I had learned one thing from Kizuki’s death, and I believed that I had made it a part of myself in the form of a philosophy: “Death is not the opposite of life but an innate part of life.”

By living our lives, we nurture death. True as this might be, it was only one of the truths we had to learn. What I learned from Naoko’s death was this: no truth can cure the sorrow we feel from losing a loved one. No truth, no sincerity, no strength, no kindness can cure that sorrow. All we can do is see it through to the end and learn something from it, but what we learn will be no help in facing the next sorrow that comes to us without warning.