View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #17
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
I am not well acquainted with the kePub format, so I would have a couple of questions:

- Why do you actually need a Kobo reader? Isn't just a question of proprietary software? In which case I'm wondering if the Sony readers will get updated for it...

- Do kePubs play nice with Alf? Considering my recent experience with Sony, this is now clearly a must...

But it's nice to hear some good things about Kobo. For one, I like what I have seen from their most recent hardware, although I'm still loath to drop that much on a product I have not been able to physically hold.
The Kobo eReaders use two rendering engines: the standard Adobe ePub rendering engine and a second one called ACCESS. It's the ACCESS engine that renders kePubs but the device will render your book in whatever format it finds it.

Quote:
There's no support for kepub in Alf's calibre plugin, but there's a separate python script provided which (apparently) will clean kepubs.

Personally I just download the Adobe DRM'ed version of anything I buy from the Kobo store, and relied on the Calibre plugin. So far, everything I've wanted has had an Adobe DRM version.
Also, there are Calibre plugins to create kePub files. Of course, Calibre only works on files without DRM. But if I'm reading the Sony message right, the plan is for Sony to send notice to Kobo with proof of the books you bought at Sony Store, and Kobo will create a pointer to those books that they already have in the Kobo Store. In that case, you could use the kePub or the ePub, the normal Kobo method.

Last edited by 6charlong; 03-21-2014 at 03:39 PM.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote