View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #96
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I don't believe that's true. I believe that the copyright owner has the right to say "I'm not prosecuting that; it has my permission to continue"--without losing the right to prosecute any future infringements.
What if it doesn't have your permission to continue? What do you do to stop it?

Quote:
I believe that either Kurtz got bad legal advice from someone who doesn't understand the difference between trademark and copyright--or she was upset at the idea of fans profiting from their love of her work, and wanted to stop them.
Possible in both cases. It was a while back, and I don't really know.

But you seem to be saying Katherine should have just ignored it because her rights weren't threatened. Personally, if someone asks me for permission to do something I have control over, I say "no", and they go ahead and do it anyway, I'll be more that a bit peeved, and perhaps aggravated enough to break out the attack lawyers. If someone actually asks me for permission, I assume they'll take no for an answer. If they don't, I'll do things to convince them I meant "No!"

No, I'm not aware of case law you're curious about. I'm not a lawyer, and going on memory. It's possible I'm wrong, but from what I know at the moment, I don't think so. If you can point me at case law supporting your view, I'll be grateful.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote