View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheygetz View Post
If I make take this up ...
I would actually expect to have more than "a bit" if the prio is set to low. But calibre-parallel uses 50% of CPU anyway (XP, double core). More precisely I would expect, that on low I could use my computer pretty much normally. So maybe we should then have a "very low" setting? Personally, I would not mind if a conversion (typically epub>mobi for me) took 10 minutes. But to hardly be able to even surf this forum while it converts is simply not helpful.

Hendrik
Priority and 50% CPU is not the same.
Priority is who gets to use the CPU (first), not how much.
BOINC uses both (Hyperthread on P4) cores at low CPU priority.

If your data bus is clogged by poor (disk,graphics....) I/O, priority won't help much.
Most common is A/V wedged into the chain (where it is not needed), but any file monitoring (auto replication? ) will suck performance.

On this Dell, the Graphics and Disk (the whole PCI bus) seem to be on the same interrupt and the BIOS has no provision to assign INT by slots other mainboards either split slot INT's (so I just move boards) or allow direct assignment
I surf and convert all the time. Streaming and converting can be hit or miss, so I only run 1 convert job at a time if I want to watch a quality stream.
Find your bottleneck
(then fix it )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote