View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 01:03 AM   #1
thax
thax began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 770, Sony Reader (PRS-505, PRS-600), iPad 32GB
CONNECT software a sham

Evening good Mobile Readers,
I am infinitely sorry to make my first post a negative one (long winded at that).

BUT I cannot ignore the huge, embarrassing, disgusting, rancid, horrible and absolutely aweful software that is CONNECT Reader.

I installed the software from the CD, authorized my Reader tried to check for the store credit. Alas it was not to be, I then read and reread the threads here and the Sony help file. So I deauthorized the computer and the Reader, uninstalled and rebooted the windows XP and reinstalled and authorized again. No dice, frustrated, I tried to import some files. Text and the lbr files liberated from lit files processed through Bookdesigner (thanks Bingle, VVV) worked fine. rtf files are another matter completely, trying to import them causes the software to close/crash *poof*. No entries in the application error log or anything. Another reinstall and same thing.
I sent in a ticket to Sony, and got a prompt response with a credit code to get me my $50 credit. But as is becoming the norm, that code is invalid. I replied to that email and I hope they sort that out.
Now I can't stay logged onto the store for more than 10 minutes before it pops up the logon to my account again.

The positive is that all of my lbr files converted from lit files look awesome and the Reader itself is a joy to read. I took it to Old Chicago tonight for happy hour and a lot of my pals that work at Sun had immediate gadget envy. As is Sony's lot in life the included software is worse than freeware and the actual hardware is drool inducing.

I hope folks at Sony read this, I don't know if I am alone in this frustration but for the premium price I expect more.

Again hello all, I really am not this negative. I just waited a week for this thing to get here from the Newark airport Borders, I guess I built it up a bit.

Now back to reading, screw that CONNECT software!

thax =)
thax is offline   Reply With Quote