View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
SandManSlim
SandManSlim began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
- What version of calibre?
0.9.2, I think there is a new update which I have not downloaded yet.

Quote:
- When the device is connected, what driver is being used? Right click on the device button in the toolbar, select "Configure this device" and tell me what the titlebar says.
The titlebar? Not sure what you mean by that, epub, pdf, txt, cbz, cbr are the only ones checked in the above format box. There is a save template with "{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}".

Quote:
- On the configuration for the driver, what do you have for the collections field? This is the one after the text "The Kobo supports several...". What are the other options set to.
Read, Closed, Im_Reading. Everything is checked except for Show recommendations, show previews, and attempt to support newer firmware.

Quote:
- When the device is connected, could you have a look in the ".kobo" directory and tell me the size of the file "KoboReader.sqlite"?
45.9 mb

Quote:
- Is Windows mounting the device as USB2? If it is mounting it as USB1.2, it would be a lot slower.
I believe it's USB2, I would have no clue as to why it would be mounting it as USB1.2.

Quote:
- You say you created a new library but didn't
My apologies, I should have worded that better, technically no I did not create a new library. I just installed calibre on a new device, and uploaded the books on the device into the calibre library.

For your other comments:

Quote:
- If the device is processing each time you disconnect from the PC, it means there are books on the device it hasn't processed. This might mean there is a book that it tries to process each time but fails. Then next time you disconnect it the device will try again. If this is the case you might be missing other books from the library on the device. To check this, you would have to compare a file listing on the device against the device library list to see what was missing.
This is the case for every time I disconnect from calibre. It is always trying to process something, and apparently it fails every time.

Quote:
- "Auto management" does add more time. But, it shouldn't add that much. With auto management and a column specified in the collections field, it will be changing the reading status and shortlist each time you connect. This will account for some of the time. 1300 is a reasonable amount of books, but I was talking to someone who had 5000 on a Kobo Touch, and the sync time was about 15 minutes.
Agreed, there is no way it should take this long, especially if it used to only taking 5 minutes.

Quote:
- Letting Windows fix the filesystem on the device was the correct thing to do. This could have contributed to the slowness.
I let it fix it, but I am still having the "metadata slowness" problem.

Quote:
- I suspect there might be an issue that will need a factory reset. If you do this, if all the books are in calibre, you will able to send the books from calibre to the device. If you have any kepubs downloaded from Kobo, they will be put on when you do a sync with Kobo. That should happen automatically after the latest firmware is loaded.
The only books I have from Kobo, were the 100 free books it came with. The rest is all on calibre. I was only worried that if I connected my empty Kobo to calibre, it would somehow delete all the books in the library, silly question but I needed to ask it regardless. I figured it might come to this though, but if I can add my books from the calibre library again, then it will not be so bad if a hard reset is needed.

PS, I want to thank you for taking the time to try and help me, I realize there is only so much you can do from your end, but I still appreciate it.

Last edited by SandManSlim; 10-20-2012 at 02:24 PM.
SandManSlim is offline   Reply With Quote