View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
I think the problem is that the difference between the marketing images (and even the unit they had at the press conference) and the average consumer unit is so pronounced. If it weren't, I don't think this conversation would even be happening. I mean, I think most of us are realistic enough that if we stop and think about it, yeah, obviously ad photos are enhanced to look as flawless as possible. But as technology keeps evolving so fast, and so many new gadgets come on the market (particularly stuff like newer Apple Retina display tech), we're just not used to there being such a huge difference when the real-life unboxing occurs. If anything, we're used to being totally awed when we first power up the new gadget.

I really hate to invoke a brand name and invite possible unintended flame wars, but I've never failed to be even more impressed with the real-life product when I've unboxed something from Apple.
I agree. I am by no means an Apple fangirl, but I never though, gee, I wish my iPad's screen were as crisp as in their pictures.
Color me stupid, but I really did expect to get a device that looked like in the TV ads, simply because they were showing people using them. When they showed the old Kindles in the past on TV, they always ended up looking the same in your hands. Same with iPads/iPhones, the actual device was always like what you saw advertised. Obviously, the images had to be enhanced because you would otherwise see a glare, but, I am looking at my iPad as am I typing this, and it looks exactly like in the commercials and on their site.
The reviews confirmed that you can not even tell where the light sources were, unless you made an effort to look for them. Amazon explained how this even lighting is revolutionary and even. And, to top it all off, Amazon called this thing PAPERWHITE, which seemed to confirm all of the above.

Edited to add: My Nexus 7 looks the same as in the ads, like do my friends' Galaxy IIIs.

Last edited by xendula; 10-11-2012 at 09:17 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote