View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I hope after you get done using Word, that you do take the time to clean your ePub of Word's mess.
Wolfie, Wolfie, Wolfie, my fave curmudgeon:

LORD! Really, you gotta get off that pony. Word's built-in styles are naught more than a GUI for CSS. That's it. That's Word's big secret. If someone pays ANY attention at all to using Word's styles, the resulting document is 5-mins of clean-up, pre-export, if that. Export, nuke the big old internal SS at the top of the html page, and slap in your own stylesheet. That's it.

Trust me, we see everything under the Sun here; LO, OO, Wordperfect, cobbled-together HTML, PDF's, faux-Word files exported from Acrobat (the WORST, period), and everything else, and a Word file created by someone who actually bothered to learn how to use it is the cleanest thing out there. Throw in the document NavMap and you can almost export directly to Sigil for epub-making.

You know I do this for a living, and I wouldn't even think twice about using Word to create a manuscript that I was going to subsequently turn into an ePUB. Even cruddy manuscripts can usually be cleaned up with some Regex. Obviously, YMMV, but it's not the program: it's the user. If someone bangs along using Ad Hoc styles, well, yeah, you're gonna get cruft. Someone tries to "convert" a PDF with Adobe Acrobat into Word, worse cruft, but that's Adobe, not Word. Someone invests 20 minutes in taking MS' online tutorial on styles? You're practically home-free on conversion. I mean it.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote