View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
So... here goes.

Originally, the K2 did NOT have native PDF support.

If you dropped a PDF onto the device, it did not work- your only options were to send the file to amazon for conversion, use Calibre or some other type of conversion software like Mobipocket Ebook Creator to make the file into one compatible with the Kindle.

When the DX debuted, it boasted NATIVE PDF support, which really only meant being able to view the document, but that was ok because many PDF's formatting and page numbers are important and not meant for conversion. Amazon ACTED like they understood this and released the KDX.

After a while, the k2 and all other later models got the ability to view pdf's. And then for some INANE reason, the K3 got the ability to use the dictionary, add notes and highlights and change the background contrast.

But the DX had PDF viewing FIRST and again because of it's screen size, was marketed as best for viewing PDF's so why shouldn't it's software be as good or better at HANDLING them as the k3?

I believe the Kindle DXG is the largest E-INK reader on the market right now, and has been for some time.

The Kno tablet(s) is/are a colossus, shiny, not-e-ink demon(s) and the Entourage Edge doesn't count because it's that weird plastic-clamshell combination of tablet and last generation's Vizplex e-ink. Sony's 7-inch reader stands out only because it's just a bit bigger than the standard six inch reader but not big enough to do much with the added screen real-estate. Plastic Logic's Que and Irex's thing have all but vanished into ether, and so by sheer persistance of existence, Amazon's DX is the last, large e-reader standing.

That, I would think using my AMAZING powers of reason, is a coveted position to be in. There is a demand for large screen E-INK readers, due to the clearness of the text, the long battery-life and the ability to view and carry around lots of PDF's because not everything is meant to be converted etc, and Amazon has the only one. And if there WAS no demand for a large screen e-reader, why did Amazon give the DX Graphite evening-wear and update the screen?

DESPITE all this information and placed in an unique position in the ever burgeoning ebook-ereader market, WHY is Amazon pretending the DXG is the illegitimate offspring of a misguided and loveless affair?

I don't believe the DXG's situation can be compared to the k1 or other previous models- the DXG was updated most recently with the Pearl e-ink screen, like I said before, just before the announcement of the K3. If Amazon wasn't making enough sales, why update the thing at all?

Hell, I'll admit the the DX isn't perfect for PDF's- it's screen size isn't the best for PDF's, being a little smaller than a sheet of paper, but if it was made any bigger it would be a good deal heavier, a lot more expensive, I imagine and any larger and they might have to rename it the Kindle Kno, so in the face of those cons, I can deal. But as a large-screened E-reader it is the best one out there; it's so close to perfect for my needs- and I suspect the needs of many others wishing to carry around PDF documents- but then Amazon wont give it the time of day.

Saadness.
You should send exactly what you have written to Amazon. You make very good sense from an economic viewpoint. I'd be surprised if Amazon were not working on updates for the KDX. Obviously, though, they are of lower priority than those for the most popular device, the K3. So they will come later? Maybe?
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote