View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullenkamp View Post
I found another alternative for viewing many images files on the pocketbooks. And although the IQ 701 states that it can read jpegs, it doesn't really seem to.

A simple way I found was to convert the many image files into a djvu file. Initially I tried PDF, but PDFs are more resource intensive than djvu files to read, and the IQ 701 was grinding to a halt on big PDFs.
I'm sure there are many conversion programs on Windows, but as I use Ubuntu it was a bit harder to find a proper GUI conversion program. But...I did find one...
Its called gscan2pdf. http://gscan2pdf.sourceforge.net/
It can convert any type of image file(s) to a PDF, djvu, or other formats.
For me, this was the easiest alternative to convert comic book image files to something that the pocketbooks could read effectively.
Yes, and in fact I was converting to PDF before this. It's good enough, but it irked me that the images had to be re-encoded in the new document, so were always a little bit worse looking. This actually makes a difference for fine lines in compressed images, like speech balloons in manga. I didn't try using djvu though, and I don't doubt that it's better than jpeg or png compression.

The big advantages for me with pbimageviewer are that I don't need to convert at all anymore (except for renaming .zip to .cbz), and the controls for viewing are better. It is easy to tailor the initial page layout, and you have finer control over panning in zoomed in images. I no longer have the problem of seeing half of a panel in one view and the other half in the next view. That's what irritated me the most, and drove me to find something better.

Edit: Oh yes, and welcome to MobileRead, mullenkamp.

Last edited by rkomar; 12-31-2011 at 02:15 PM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote