View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #171
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
So unless you're planning to read olde English books or something from a very vocabularily intelligent author, I think you should be okay.
Thanks Mrs Often.

I really do think the dictionary lookup is a great feature of an ebook reader. I often come across new words while I'm reading (I learned "exsanguination" in the last paranormal romance I read on my Kindle) and being able to quickly look things up is an advantage over reading paper.

Another, perhaps slightly shallow, reason not yet mentioned for wanting a UK reader is because I think it shows care and thought being put into a product. If I am buying something containing a dictionary in the UK, that is launched as a product in the UK for a UK market, I hope it would have a UK English dictionary. Just as I'd hope the thing would have a US English one if I were an American buying it there. For instance, UK recipes shouldn't be in cups, shoe sizes should be less than 15 (mostly?) and we should be able to put things in metric if we want to (unless it's things we want to stick with imperial for, even when we're happily using metric for something else in the same sentence). I could sell a cookbook using cups no problem and it'd still be usable, but I'd want to make sure it used the UK norm measurement before launching it here. It isn't a huge thing, but it is certainly a nice small one. I suppose other dictionaries would have a cost impact for licensing, which would put up the cost of the product too.

I think my KKeyboard lets me change dictionaries to one I specify . I remember selecting the UK one it came with as an 'extra' as default and deleting the other.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote