View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
maximus83
Nameless Being

Leading ereader candidates in a 7" to 8" android tablet?

What are some of the best Android LCD tablets in the 7" to 8" range that would make for a solid ereader, including sufficient resolution let's say 220 dpi or higher?

Currently, when not using my Samsung phone, I use my Google Nexus 7 from 2013. The Nexus is still pretty darned good, specs here. For Android readers, this is still a pretty ideal tablet, with 1920x1080, 323 ppi resolution, 2GB RAM, and 32GB onboard storage, plus wireless Qi charging. Even though it's coming up on 6 years old, if it weren't for the fact that this thing is showing its age and starting to have some issues, I'd happily keep using it.

Looking over the Android LCD tablet landscape today, it actually doesn't look too great from an ereader perspective in the 7" to 8" range. There's the new Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (model number beginning T387). At around $220 and change for the 32GB version, it seems like a good deal until you realize the resolution is low (1280x800, = 188 dpi). Samsung claims they'll be coming out with a more expensive, higher resolution 8" model this summer, and they probably will given their history with these models.

Are there other, higher resolution Android tablets in the 7" to 8" range that are worth looking at?