View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 05:55 AM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Not really sure how to respond to this as my answer is conditional.

I believe (or at least strongly suspect) that technological constraints will eventually force the ebook publishing market to adopt the licensing model model used by software (as they are half-heartedly trying to do now). If that push develops, and I expect it will, then the response is Nay - no reselling (the idea of a "second-hand" digital object is almost a contradiction in terms).

However if some means is found to sell a "copy" of a work in an electronic equivalent form of a book (can't see it happening, but I'm no oracle), then my answer would be yea.

At the moment ebook publishing seems to be positioned half-way between the two systems, trying to sell as if selling a book but trying to license as if software; trying to have their cake and eat it too. Of course part of their problem will be educating a very broad mix of consumers, whichever approach they take.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote