Thread: video in epub
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2021, 04:04 AM   #51
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittendrigh View Post
Complaints about "link rot" to youtube are common. Solutions will evolve.
Link Rot is an extremely large problem, especially with the insane ramp-up of censorship happening lately.

Book I worked on just last year was a compilation of articles all written in 2020 (think motivational/young-entrepreneurship book).

They linked to multiple Youtube videos per chapter... and nearly half the videos were already broken due to:
  • account takedowns
  • copyright strikes

Not to mention Youtube's ridiculous must-log-into-an-account because "adult video" nonsense they've been pushing recently.

(A few months back, I wanted to check out a movie trailer. You know, the ones anyone with a TV sees during commercial breaks? ADULT! But I can watch Trailer #2 and Trailer #3 with no account fine... Trailer #1 must've just been too dangerous!)

And now, they're even purging "bad things" like:
  • Reverse engineering
    • Guy who repairs old TVs? Gone.
  • "Hacking" videos
    • Computer security? Gone.
  • News clips
    • Fair Use? We "own" that 30 seconds. Gone.
    • And how dare you show a thing we said 1 month ago that contradicts what we just told you yesterday... MISINFORMATION! Gone.
  • Scientific debate
    • You speak against a word on the naughty list? Gone.

You don't open up a paper book, then have half the material just disappeared into thin air.

(Although there are art books that cost hundreds of dollars with blank spots where images WOULD be...)

Ebooks should be built to last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
The last post, in this thread, when it was alive, was me--9 years ago. This isn't necro-posting; it's Zombification posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
And I have yet to have a reader--not even ONE--tell me that they want video in eBooks. Not one.
It's the future of ebooks! (/sarcasm)

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 10-06-2021 at 04:38 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote