View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #88
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Some of the lengths that people in this thread are willing to go to to deal with opinions they dislike really make me wonder they do about neighbors and coworkers whose opinions they disagree with...
I have limited time, limited energy. Once I've established that someone is almost never going to say anything I find useful or interesting, is never going to be worth my time to reply to--why bother seeing their words?

I don't take any effort to "make co-workers disappear," but there are people who, if they're talking, I avoid those conversations if I can. Here, I don't have to avoid the whole conversation; I really can selectively tune people out. It's one of the few communication options that the internet has that in-person situations doesn't.

In RL, of course, there's always the chance that even someone I find annoying or boring or bigoted might say something interesting or useful. Here, however, there's a number of other constraints--the forums have limited subject matter ("that bigoted jerk," whoever he or she may be, isn't going to recommend a local place for lunch that I'd enjoy), and people aren't sharing their entire selves. Which is reasonable, and I'm not blocking "all access from their entire selves;" I just don't want to hear what they have to say about ebooks.

If they have something useful to say to me, hey, I have a blog link in my signature.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote