View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 02:15 AM   #5
MildBill
Enthusiast
MildBill doesn't litterMildBill doesn't litter

Device: Probably the Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
Your original request was to read on your pc, not on a website, a lot of ebooks on websites are presented chapter by chapter, with Nav controls at the top like this feature does. What I'm trying to say is that this feature/output format is not intended for you, a poster who is asking for help with reading epub files on his desktop.

I'm not sure why the epub reading software doesn't work for you. If you want a single 'flow' with one continuous book, convert into a desktop oriented format like rtf. Merging multiple html files into one probably isn't terribly hard, but it isn't particularly easy either, which is why no one has implemented it yet.
Ok, apparently we are failing to communicate effectively. Let me try again for your edification.
I have only the two issues with the zip format as I have stated originally, those being that the conversions from epub (and I don't see why you need to be concerned with WHY I prefer not to use an epub reader, so lets drop that part of the conversation right here) add not only the nav controls at the top and bottom of each 'page', which I have no problem with, but also adds a lengthy Table of Contents after the text of each page and before the bottom nav controls. THAT is what I would like to be able to remove from the process.
The second issue is that opening the file for reading is a pain in the butt, and this is true not only for conversions to zip, but also for ANY html file I add as a book, even if it started out as a single html file with no other files (such as graphics of some kind). I have a fairly significant number of books that started out as html, and it would be just dandy if they STAYED that way when added to Calibre, as opposed to being confined in a zip file. Or, the process of unzipping and opening should be simplified for reading from Calibre.
Now, if you have some insight relevant to these two issues, feel free to comment further. However, if not, then please refrain from wasting space that might be better used by someone who does.

MildBill
MildBill is offline   Reply With Quote