View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #33
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkroese View Post
Delphidb96 - Making the plot needlessly convoluted was kind of the point. Actually, aren't all plots needlessly convoluted? A plot is by definition a needless complication of a character's life. After all, Huck Finn, Frodo Baggins and Luke Skywalker could all have avoided all kinds of complications by just staying home. I doubt their stories would be as interesting, but they would certainly be simpler.

What part did you find boring? The rocket exploding the house, the attempted assassination, the three pillars of fire erupting from the heavens, the implosion of a large section of southern California, the car crash, the gunfight, the three earthquakes or the forest fire?
You lost me after wading through the first two chapters. I gave up after the second page. Then I came back to it and clawed my way through the first chapter - and gave up again. Finally, I forced myself to finish the second chapter. After three attempts, I gave up. I won't be going any further.

Ummm... Just so you know, I routinely read WEB Griffin, John Ringo, David Weber, Edward Cline, Ayn Rand, L Neil Smith, Tami Hoag and the like... Complex don't turn me off.

Derek

P.S. Complexity entering into a character's life is good. Needless complexity brings on unremitting confusion and is bad. I've found Terry Pratchett books that are less needlessly complex than I discovered in Mercury Falls.

Last edited by delphidb96; 01-29-2010 at 07:03 PM.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote