View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #10
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Yes you are right, it does evolve a bit, and probably like me you tune it to the way you store books. For instance I do stuff like strip off "(Omnibus)" since I know that is how I store those types of titles amongst various other things.

One point I did not mention which you brought up again with the find_identical_books comment. One of the common things I find is that the built-in logic that Calibre has at time of import does you no good if the filename was not "close enough" at the time of import. For instance a common thing I miss is to not spot a missing space between the series hyphen and the title. So my title gets imported with a name like "Series X-Title name" which the Calibre logic cannot pick up. Now that is easy to spot in Calibre when you review your newly added books, you fix the title/series up correctly and think job done. However of course that can now result in a duplicate.

My point being that regardless of how much cleverness goes into the "merge" logic, there will always be situations where as the result of an edit you now have a duplicate that only some sort of post-check can pickup, replicating similar and other more extensive checks.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote