View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I personally don't care if Kobo knows what I am reading or how long I am reading etc. I don't think they are going to show up in Ninja robes at my doorstep or anything similiar.
The ninja outfits are only in Japan, here they show up in black helicopters wearing black suits.

Quote:
I do care that they are arbitrary in the matter of doing what they want without my express permission, and AFAIK connecting to the desktop application does not give them my express permission, even though you say it does. Probably I missed the disclaimer?
I'm tempted to say but that's what the desktop application is designed to do when you connect your ereader. I don't think that I ever stated that running the desktop application gave them permission to modify the contents of your ereader but I remember the concept of implied permission from my first aid courses -- if the victim does not say no, it implies they want to be helped. If you run a program designed to synchronize your ereader...

Quote:
I also think that the implied assumption that the majority of readers are incapable of redownloading their books or requesting an update is a tad patronizing.
I suspect it is less a matter of being patronizing and more trying to keep up with the Joneses. When I purchased a book from Apple using my iPad, it also showed up on my iPhone where trying to read the diagrams was next to impossible. When one of my co-workers purchased a book using her Kindle Fire, it also showed up on her husband's Paperwhite since they used her account for both of them to make sharing books simpler.

For the most part, I don't blame this on malice or evil intentions but rather on trying to give the customer what they think the customer would want.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote