View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
cyBook Arrives in Annapolis to Much Cheering, News at Eleven!

Today was a very difficult day at work. Here I was, stuck in the office having seen the USPS web site update indicating that a package from the folks at NAEB had been delivered. Hours to go before I would be able to introduce myself to the cyBook. What a painful wait!

...and of course the evening rush hour traffic was worse than usual. Seems some important figure was visiting Washington D.C. today.....Oh, yea, that's right, it was the Pope.

Talk about a sign!

Finally, I am happily sitting here with my new friend. Mr. cyBook meet Mr. Jeff. Mr. Jeff meet Mr. cyBook.

....and at last we get down to some serious hands-on with the oft-talked about cyBook. Cute little thing, isn't it? Seems a shame to hide it in that nice book cover that came with it.

Since the cyBook came with an initial charge (70%!), I was able to get some immediate hands-on to see how things worked. So, two immediate impressions:

- this thing is *light*. Having been using an iLiad for about 6 weeks, I would say that the 400g weight of the iLiad has not been a problem in terms of holding it for lengthy periods of reading and that the difference in weight between the two didn't seem to be a big deal. But at 174g, the difference is subjectively far more obvious than the 226g difference between them would suggest.

- screen turns are noticeably faster. Even with the screen clearing feature left enabled, the cyBook does turn pages faster....almost at the same speed as turning a pbook page. Heck, I haven't timed it, it could be faster.

Haven't tried reading any of my collected set of books yet. I'll be copying the book that I am currently reading on the iLiad (including the file created by mobi to hold the bookmarks and last page read information) and see how the reading experience differs.

And before I forget, a big thanks to the folks at NAEB. They are doing a good job on delivering a somewhat scarce product and at a very good price. Thanks guys and gal!

...more observations as they come (later),

Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote