View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 03:09 PM   #20
Fi3ryPh03n1x
Fi3ryPh03n1x began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm here because I, too, have a single eBook that is assigned to different series. I want my eBook to be assigned to multiple series and sort by series within all of them without having to duplicate the book for each.

To that end, I have a suggestion for future builds of Calibre. For my example, I'll use one of my eBooks that fits this need: The Reversal, By Michael Connelly. It is part of the Mickey Haller series and the Harry Bosch series and needs to be assigned to both. To accomplish this, it seems to me that it wouldn't be too difficult to allow multiple entries for the series column. It could be in a large box format... something like this:

|..Mickey Haller..........|..3.......|
|.............................|...........|
|__________________________|

Having more than one entry for the series would autmoatically 'ghost' the entry into two (or more) separate line items in the database. Clicking on any item to edit the entry would take them back to the same entry since they all refer to the same item. Also, multiple entries for this field would not increase the book count, author count, etc. It would just make multiple referrers to the same item.

Since I'm not a programmer, I don't really know how hard this would be to accomplish, or if the concept is compatible with Calibre at all. But I have seen enough comments on the need for this feature to think it worthy of consideration, anyway.

Last edited by Fi3ryPh03n1x; 03-31-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Fi3ryPh03n1x is offline   Reply With Quote