View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #258
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Im a special case, as I am only interested in large screen readers suitable for pdf reading.

I used to own a kobo touch and an onyx m92, now I own thr hanvon e920 with 200 dpi 9.7" pearl screen and capacitive touch (no capactive layer, touch is behind the pearl display)

I prefer pdf format for books because they are more true to the original book formats and looks than those epub files, just my personal opinion

Of course this reader is non-frontlit, but I am more than satisfied in the most lighting conditions, I own a very good fitting and sufficiently working belkin ebook light, but I rarely use it because the screen is very readable in most situations! I am very happy though with the belkin light, it has a nice fit and covers all the screen with light due to its long arm!

I am sure there wont be any front-lit large screen readers above 8" ever, most 6" manufacturers already have trouble spreading the light evenly over the display and even maintaining the good readibility and stability from the original pearl display (people complain about dark spots or lighted areas or even lighted pixels)

Pocketbook recently released the pocketbook color lux, a frontlit 8" color reader, which should be sharper in terms of dpi than the 9.7" jetbook color, but has a extreme lack of sharpness and very bad viewing angles thanks to the frontlight (8" is simply to large to be lighted evenly) Of course the additional color.layer of the triton2 makes things worse, but frontlit has its troubles already in many 6" readers

An additional issue for largescreen readers would be the increased energy consumption since larger screens require alot more leds than small readers.. This could be solved with more weight (larger batt) but this is one of the worst problems current large screen readers have currently

Surely, I would prefer a lighted 9.7" reader but I doubt we will see something like that ever.. Also contrast gets worse just a little with the frontlit layer
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote