Thread: Duokan 2013
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #368
donB006
Connoisseur
donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle k3G 3.4.2; DXG 2.5.8; DXG 3.1; Iriver Story HD
Duokan Dictionaries generated by 'tabfile' program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Unfortunately, the StarDict support in Duokan is rather limited:

For all other languages the best way to get a good StarDict dictionary is to find a suitable Babylon .bgl dictionary file and convert it with StarDict Editor. (You'll have to first compile the .bgl file to a .babylon file and then compile the .babylon file to a StarDict file.)
I have struggled with the stardict-editor program with only slight success. I have found the program 'tabfile' works to produce dictionaries perfect for Duokan. I think this will also work with Duokan Lite.

The program 'tabfile' is a part of the stardict-tools distribution and can be found in Debian GNU/Linux and many other distributions. The input file is a dictionary in a simple format with the word at the beginning of the line and then a tab followed by the definition on the same line. The program 'tabfile' then converts the input file into the .dict.dz and .ifo and .idx files.

I have found some dictionary sources that are originally in tab format like freedict or various sources that can be converted to tab format. I then edit the file to remove all tags such as <k>, <tr>, <b> and convert &apos; to ' or &quot; to " and &amp; to & for example because these are not used by Duokan. I build the .dict.dz and .ifo and .idx files from the tab file input and then use 'dictunzip' or 'gunzip' to convert the .dict.dz file to the .dict needed by Duokan.

So far I have several English definition dictionaries and French and Spanish translation dictionaries installed in Duokan built with the 'tabfile' program.

Last edited by donB006; 03-20-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: clarification
donB006 is offline   Reply With Quote