View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 05:05 AM   #4
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit
Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nookpadle 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I think that good grammar always has a place. I mean would you want your Dr. to write out a prescription that was open to interpretation? Or would you want your lawyer (If involved in a court case) to write just anything down in his brief for the judge? There are definite reasons to have good grammar. Also if it's a choice between reading a book by an author who uses good grammar or one who uses IM speak I'll choose the author who uses good grammar every time. The other author may have a superior story to the traditional grammar using author but when I read books I read for entertainment (unless I'm reading from a reference book) and I don't want to have to struggle to understand the meaning of IM speak when I'm doing it. I've read some fan fictions that used IM speak in the past and it just doesn't read well. And before you can break the rules of good grammar you have to know them. One way we pick them up is by reading them in actual books. You can't do that if the books are written in some sort of mess that you have to learn in addition to the basic rules. It's hard enough reading some really old books with traditional grammar. Can you see trying to read Shakespeare or the Bible in IM speak? It just wouldn't work.
Everything my doctor writes is open to interpretation! I am assuming you are a person of “a certain age”. I was thinking more to the future of fiction writing, rather than the unintelligible lies of a lawyer.
Justin Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote