View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
In computers the command lines of all sorts use a space as the character used to separate arguments. See command line in the wiki. Thus it is a reserved character. However, like other special characters there are ways to make it not special. In windows command shells or Unix you need to place the whole file name in quotes to remove the special meaning. Even though you are using a click to select a name the underlying code must turn that into a string of characters and this is where the special processing is required. A name to a computer is a word and two words are two names. Even people sometimes have problems in parsing information where two names are to be treated as one name (word).

Dale
Anothe gottcha is the file system on the PEz is case sensitive because it is running under Linux.
Windows is Case insensitive.

my_book, My_book and My_Book are the same file in Windows.

They are 3 DIFFERENT files to Linux.

Note: that you can not always easily change the case of a file name in Windows, since they are considered the same.
The trick I use is to "walk" the file name to what I want in a few steps
To rename my_book to My_Book
Add a nonsense (legal) character to the end (The end, prevents file list sort motion)

Rename my_book -> my_book1 (save/enter)

Rename my_book1 -> My_Book (save/enter)

The extra/different character forces the rename to "take" in step 1
Step 2 just puts it back close to what it was.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote