View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
New tablet. 7" or 10"? To root or not to root?

I have a Nook Color that I rooted into a Nook Tablet. I succeeded, but it was time consuming and painful. So, I'd prefer not to have to root again...
Anyhow, the Nook has been damaged so I'm looking for a new tablet.

I"ve read a couple topics in here. This WON'T be my only machine, or the one I have to do my surfing or editing, or whatever on. I have a dual-30" desktop and a 17" laptop for all that stuff. This is for portability, reading, and convenience.

I'd like to be able to load whatever I want on it... Preferably natively - not side-loading and kludging it. Coolreader, Moonreader, Aldiko, Kindle reader, etc. As well as whatever apps I need - whether it's an ephemeris or Angry Birds, or whatever I'm looking for.

I'll be using it for reading, and some music and/or Internet radio. So far, I haven't been watching movies on the Nook.

I'd LIKE a 10" tablet, but I'm curious whether the advantage of more screen space outweighs the extra weight and clumsiness. Also, if I"m reading on a 10", do I just get a lot more lines if in portrait at the same font size, or do I just get bitter type and need to go to landscape mode with two pages? And how's the quality of I go to 2 pages?

I'm not an Apple fan, so not much interested in the iPad. And I'm hopeless with my wife's Blackberry, so if their tablets are like their phones I'll stay away from those. I like the Nook HD+ or equivalent Fire, but again, I'm back to rooting.

So, do I stay at 7" or go to 10"? Do I go for a Nexus or is there some better, equally cost effective option? Is the Nook HD or HD+ or equivalent Kindle the best bang for the buck or is the Nexus better for what I do? Is there some other option I haven't considered yet?
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote