View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #28
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paper & electrophoretic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
No, they don't. They really, really don't. They want piracy to be declared a criminal, not civil, form of copyright violation; they want the copyright-violation penalties, not the petty theft penalties that would be relevant if "downloading an ebook" were legally equivalent to "steal a pbook."
Thank you for the interesting comment. I'm not an expert, but I think that media companies do not want to tolerate any practice involving illegally obtained content, even if it poses no threat to their intellectual property at the copyright level.
Suppose that someone illegally gets a movie without even using the Internet (say, because someone gave them the file). Then this person sees the movie and deletes the file, without giving it to someone else. According to the "copyright violation level" scenario, media companies should not care much if such things happen. Instead, it seems to me that they want them fought against.
So really, media companies are trying to cover all bases here: the copyright-violation one, but also the "personal use" one. I was focusing on the last one.

Mind you, my proposal is not intended as an operative one, but as a basis for debate. I think that media companies should try to empower their customers, keeping them affectionate by providing high-quality content and service, instead of trying to use the law to club them into submission. I am happy to pay for quality content, and do so even when there's no obligation. My "try and -if you don't like it- exchange it" scheme is an example of the customer empowerment I am talking of.
BoldlyDubious is offline   Reply With Quote