Thread: Help me Decide
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #27
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I agree. I can usually understand most terms from context even if they're old or obscure. I used to just satisfy myself with that, but it's interesting to have the real definition. Plus sometimes I get the feeling that an author is using a word I know but in a more nuanced way than I'm getting. It's nice to get a deeper understanding even of a word I know. Before, I wouldn't put down my book and interrupt the flow of my reading to go look it up. It's so easy when lookup is built in that it doesn't jar me away from the book.

Dictionaries aren't just for those with limited vocabularies. I could sit and play with a dictionary for hours. Words fascinate me on their own. I wish there was a good OED we could use on our devices.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote