View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #10
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
something simpler, write .vala code, compile to C and compile these C addons with the original firmware.
OK, I understand, on the other hand Lua could be used to create 'user modifiable' scripts that are executed at specific locations in the code. This would however take a lot of effort and time to define locations where to run lua-script and define interfaces to modify standard behaviour by the scripts. (Mmm as I am writing this down it sounds interesting, maybe I should put it on my long-term todo list ...)
Quote:
My next plan is to modify popupmenu to add 2 new entries and release a new version of DR800+:
- Go to Programs
- System Information
They are not directly related to this vala work, but I think they are interesting for DR800+ (or perhaps even Mackx's additions).
"System Information" will run sysinfo binary as an external program, so "sysinfo" will be copied to /usr/bin when installing DR800+. I also consided the alternative to add the generated .c code to popupmenu and be part of popupmenu core, but I think it's better it remains an external app.
The dr1000-hackx (new name for MackxPatch) has a mechanism to add new icons on the Home/Desktop. One that is added is called Applications, it shows all files that have been tagged with 'application'. It is similar to the 'Go to Programs' although it requires that the files are tagged correctly. (Note that dr1000-hackx allows to add multiple tags to a document.)
Quote:
Long term idea is to hack on ctb:
- nowdays when you enter into "Books" or "Recently Added" virtual folders, all the books are extracted from the DB, so it's very slow if you have lots of books. My idea is to only query for next "page" (SQLite admits LIMIT and OFFSET)
I am wondering how much this solves, the sql-query still needs to gather info on all document, sort them according to the sorting criteria and then select the information that is really required. But I think it is worth a measurement to see if it saves some time.
Quote:
- add a "Recently opened" virtual folder to HOME
You should be able to merge that from dr1000-hackx. (Although the settings dialog to control the appearance and order of views in Home, needs some extra work to make it more user friendly.)
Quote:
- improve view sorting in Books folder, maybe adding sort modes as icons to the toolbar at the bottom
I assume that the 'real' problem is that you cannot find your books quick enough? I started working on a function that allows selection of books based on its tag. Tagging each document with several tags e.g.: 'book programming vala' would show the document in the normal 'Books'-View, but also allows to fine-tune the selection with 'programming' and/or 'vala'.
Maybe I should post the new version as a pre-release so you can play with it in the emulator? (The new version also allows tagging multiple documents.)

Marcel.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote