View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #23
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
The words are not synonyms, never have been. They have very distinctly different meanings. In your example, the first is correct; the second is not. I'd like to see a cite that tells me it is acceptable to interchange the two. Even if that is forthcoming for American English, it certainly is not true of English.
I gave the cite upthread. It notes the American/British distinction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I don't believe that the two are synonyms.

My understanding is that the concept of insure involves the payment of money, while the concept of ensure involves to make certain.
You can use "ensure" and "insure" in a general sense interchangeably.

If you are talking about insurance, of course, you need to use "insure." The cite is upthread.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote