View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
da2zoe
Book Addict
da2zoe began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color Rooted
Questions! Never rooted before but want to

I am not new to techno gadgets but I've never ROOTED anything in my life. I've had a couple of Blackberry phones and got the Samsung Fascinate Android phone the day it came out from Verizon (love it) but I've never felt the need to root any of them because they worked just fine for my needs.

However, my NC may be a different story. I'm finishing college and read a LOT of pdf's. This is why I'm considering rooting - I want more options for annotating/highlighting. Not to mention I like Angry Birds....lol.

Before we go any further, you should know I am a Mac person so take this into consideration if you share any links, advice or instructions. If a procedure won't work on a Mac, it won't work for me because I don't have a PC at home. Running OSX 10.6.6 Snow Leopard with broadband internet.

Questions:
1) Lingo....there's so much! What are some key terms I should understand to root? I often see clockworkmod, adb/adb failure, XDA and have no idea what they are.

4) SD card honeycomb booting option?
5) Class 6 card?
6) I know .apk is a file extension but what does it apply to?
7) What is ROM Manager and do I need it?

8) My NC software shows 1.0.1 but is there a newer one I should be worried about whether I root or not? I don't live near a B&N store so reading there is not a concern for me, but are there other issues with the update?

9) Do software updates install automatically (kinda like on Android or BB)? Or do I need to check for them?

10) Terrified of bricking my new best friend......words of advice?

11) Purchased 2 yr protection through Best Buy for NC. If there's a problem after rooting, can it be restored to factory root settings so I can have it repaired if I need it?

I apologize if the information I'm asking for is duplicated. I've literally spent hours searching forums to get my answers but I find myself overwhelmed with all the different info and lingo. People here seem to have the easiest to understand explanations (particularly Zartemis- you seem pretty brilliant when it comes to this stuff) but I'm hoping to get answers to my particular questions all in one place. Thank you, thank you in advance.

I've subscribed to several threads but still feel like much of it is in "code" but I'm willing to learn.

da2zoe is offline   Reply With Quote