View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #52
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
Yes, and this is ridiculous - I agree. The problem is that they are simply afraid of totally loosing the "hard" market (real books, cds, etc) 'cause of the lower price of the new technology - and thus loose its controllability.
I think the biggest thing they're afraid of is losing the cash cow that they have now with total control. In the digital world total control is gone, whether they will admit it or not. They're fighting a losing battle trying to keep it, rather than adapt.

Quote:
Whoah! I agree again! It will need some try and error - but (greatly) reducing the price (adopting to lower production costs) and selling more service is a different thing from "giving away for free". Guess we were just misunderstanding each other
There are several different ideas for models. "Free" is one that some people are talking about, and has worked surprisingly well in other markets, but it's not the only option. What publishers are trying desperately to do though, is keep the old model from the physical world (that pretty much made them the king of the mountain) and force it on the digital world. I don't think that's going to work though. Something is going to have to change.

Quote:
Publishers ARE providing some service that is crucial for authors/musicians.
True, but it's getting a lot less and less, and they're fighting really hard to prevent it from happening. It wouldn't surprise me if eventually, they're no longer needed by either the consumer or the artist.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote