View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #517
hreader
hreader began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I don't know about azw but mobi is just like Kobo's kepub (or epub) in that it's a load of text formatted in a certain way – whatever way text is formatted, text is still selectable and therefore it's possible to look the selected text up in the dictionary.
OK, I want just say that I would like to have (need) something like the kindle behaviour where the use of dictionary is the same on pdf/azw and mobi and that it is possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
PDFs are generally (originally) not formatted text. PDFs are "pictures" of a screen of text. So, the text is not selectable any more because it's a picture instead of the text itself. So if you can't select the text, you can't look the text up.
I really don't think PDFs are "pictures", maybe some are a little "strange" (like some books on google) and I think it is visible specially zooming. In the application I use for pdf (evince but also sumatra/okular/maybe xpdf too!) I can select the text and copy like on text editor (es. double click selects a word, etc.), so I think it is possible to use dictionary.
I just tried evince on a book where characters are not well defined and also in this case is possible to select text but the behaviour is a little different.
hreader is offline   Reply With Quote