View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #40
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I like series but I can get burned out on them. I really liked the Honor Harrington books by Weber but I burned out on them recently. There is no resolution. Just when you think the good guys have won and people can get on with their lives the war flares up again with another crisis. Even in real life wars don't go on forever. Eventually they are won or lost or people just lose the will to fight. Series should have an overall story arc and eventually reach a resolution. Prefereably a happy one to make the readers investment of time worthwhile. I've burned out on the J.D. Robb series also. Good books but it's time Dallas gets promotted to Captain and the series retired.
Actually, there have been quite a few wars that lasted for decades.
There is one school of thought that sees the 20th century as one LONG WAR that began in 1910 and ended in 1989.
Wars that span decades in multiple phases are called Epocal Wars; the thirty years war was one and the cycle of wars between England and France in the 18th-19th century was another and a big part of Weber's inspiration for the Honorverse. There actually is a unifying narrative behind the series that takes it from fan service to mega-novel.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote