View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 04:15 AM   #11
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I’d like to nominate Oroonoko, by Aphra Behn. Behn is the first professional woman English writer and one of the first English novelists, writing during the Restoration. Oroonoko is the story of an African slave to the king in Suriname and his love for a general’s daughter and is considered a critical work in the early history of the novel. The novel reflects Behn’s trip to Suriname; she had an interesting life, spying for Charles II and serving a stint in debtor’s prison. She was also a successful poet and playwright. And, Oroonoko is short! for those of us, including me, who are still reading The Conquest of the Incas.

There’s a very nice free copy at Girlebooks.
great, just downloaded it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum
Sorry paola, I don't think I could cope with another long book as I'm only halfway through The Conquest of the Incas at this stage. It sounds very good all the same.
you are indeed right, I am still on chapter 3
Caleb, for the same reason (i.e., quite a tome), I'll stick around before seconding Orlando Furioso, as it may be to tall an order for me at the moment.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote