View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #15
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
You might want to look into the sources of the gameboy emulator, look into sys/fbdev/fbdev.c. It does a 5-step ordered dither via using a lookup table for 8bpp grayscale values. Should be easy to port into an mplayer fbdev output modification.
I played streaming videos on the K3 using the myts terminal and optware mplayer, using the "ascii art" output driver. Even at fullscreen, the video was smooth and quite acceptable (if you view it from about two meters away).

It gets that high speed by using partial-screen updates of individual characters (myts), and using ansi escape sequences to move around the screen to do differential updates (mplayer).

I posted some details about the command-line parameters I used in the mplayer thread some time ago.

The quality should be a LOT better with dithered output instead of "ascii art" output.

And if you like ascii art video , you can take any URL for vimeo.com and replace the leading "v" with "asc", to see it rendered in ascii art.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-27-2012 at 09:26 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote