View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #15
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
OK excel - about 2 second. word 1 second. google chrome - well I'm using it to type this but I doubt that it's longer than 2 secs.

is 6 seconds too long ? - not at all but then 195 books is not a lot of books.!

I am concerned that if I dump in a collection of 3000+ sci fi that I found recently then I'd be looking at 5-6 MINUTES for start-up, which would be annoying.
I'm a long-time user of Calibre, and the speed and "snappiness" has been steadily improved. I just keep the books I've read in my library, plus a few books worth of reading queue, so my library is still smallish at about 200 books. If you find that Calibre doesn't scale well with large libraries (other posters in this thread indicates that it's not too bad), you might want to create a smaller library for speedy day-to-day use, and a huge one for "basement archiving".

But look at it this way: Calibre is so brilliant for managing/browsing your collection that it probably saves *you* for significant amounts of work. Other applications I've tried are cumbersome, and I can't imagine that any of them would be very useful for managing a library of significant size, nevermind 3000+ entries. With Calibre I can find any book within seconds, and I can do bulk changes/updates with a minimum of effort. I've reorganised my collection several times (changing author naming structure, different tags, added series and so on), and it has only taken me 2-3 minutes of work each time.

For this convenience Calibre may make my computer work a little harder. I say let it, as long as I don't have to
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote