Thread: Calibre2Web
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #21
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
Uhm... Stanza (latest released version) on both a 2G and 3G iPhone (firmware 2.2 on both) doesn't crash using an online catalog with >3000 books on a single level. :-)
(Yes, takes quite some time to load but technically it works just fine. )

If yours does, something is wrong.
Mine seems to give up if I have more than about 500-1000 books. Whether it is stanza problem or just related to the amount of catalog data I have no idea. That is using Stanza 1.7. However one does not really want to page through that many entries to get to the one of interest - so having sub-divisions for faster navigation is a good idea. The addition of search capability also allows the user to specify more accurate navigation options. Search was not really practical to implement with a static catalog but works well with dynamic catalogs.

Quote:
Speaking of which - in the Python version, please add a pagination option (preferrably defaulting to 25 entries) so that result fetching is sensibly fast even on slower links.
I already had that on my list and have tested that it works. It is easy enough to do if you are generating the catalog entries dynamically rather than statically. It would is even possible with a static catalog - but one quickly ends up with rather a lot of catalog files as the library size increases. I would also like an option to NOT have pagination involved when I want to get to an entry that is several hundred items into a catalog level. However I have not really though about how to reconcile these two different needs from a usability perspective at the Stanza end. One option might be to have a "Load All Remaining entries" as well as a "Get Next 25 Entries" type options?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote