View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #110
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
How exactly do you track source? I was thinking I'd like to add a custom field #source as a multi-tag type of field, and keep SourceName, web.address there where possible, or other source-IDing info. Edit: I just added it, as described.
Added column 'Source', am filling it with 'Smashwords', 'Baen' etc. One use i can imagine for the info: let's say I see a free book somewhere else, that I have already from, say, Gutenberg. I know Gutenberg projects may lack italics and have dragonlength of licence, so I take trouble to download it again.

Quote:
BTW, there are pros and cons for the separate metadata/format clean-up library. One con is that you can't (yet) cut and paste from older books in main library without doing a quick switch, which takes time. For example, to enter series info on a new series member when you already have older series members in the other library.
I do not bother with anything.
Download (straight to library with plugin, but mostly to special folder).
Add (takes data from file, so I don't even have to bother to correct filename while saving) and fill Source field - else I'll forget where I got it from. If I have time or can be bothered, I'll paste some info from download page (summary, pubdate, series...)
Let it lie until reading, converting, filling other fields. Series # could be 1, it becomes important only when I start to read. I can't very well imagine situation where half of series is in another library, but I suppose I'd transfer and then fix as soon as possible. After all, nulla regula sine exeptione and I don't have lot of unfinished series anyways.

I keep avoiding bulk edit until I know better what I may encounter, now I have trouble enough to decide what info to show on book details panel - for some books it can be rather long.

Quote:
Page counts, another thing I hadn't messed with and now I'm wondering if they'd be useful to me in any way. . . Now I realize page count would be useful in cases like a short story where the author or publisher padded the size with hi-rez cover or additional hi-rez graphics.
I have 2 pdfs of the same book, 468 and 287 KB, 103 and 97 pages; mobi/epub can have additional pictures and whatever. Pagecount is for me much easier to grasp.