View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #12
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Let me start off by punching holes in the issue at hand, did a lot of this as an undergraduate in my Science of Argument class. First , the source, the Jenkins Group, who is this company and what business is it of theirs to make statements like this? I have never heard their name associated with book publishing in any way so where would the company lay there hands on that kind of data? If it was the Book Publishing Industry Association, I would except them as an authoritative source or perhaps one of the major book publishers (its simple for a book publisher to look at sales data to surmize this sort of things).

Second, the National Endowment for the Arts in an authoritative source on plays as thats pimarily their business and they have nothing to do with book publishing and/or reading.

Third, I don't see the National Educators Association or US Department of Education assoicated with this study in any way. These two would be authoritative sources when it came to people not reading after undergraduate or graduate school.

Fourth, notice the use of the term college and my use of the term undergraduate and graduate school. Seems to indicate that the researchers have no idea what they are doing as they appear to be uneducated themselves. Those of us that went to grad school use the terms undergraduate and graduate, means the same thing but makes the distinction between the BA/BS degree level and the MA/MS and PhD levels.

Should see my library at home in my basement, the books are massing for an attack to take over the whole floor. Gone to digital out of need to conserve space or else risk being shut out of my home entirely.

In conclusion I seriously doubt that the researchers here have any idea what they are talking about, sort of like me talking about Oceanography when my degree is in Human Neuropathology (the study of the broken brain.)

Good point APK, perhaps the researchers met with a psychic and talked to ghosts.

Last edited by jbcohen; 04-13-2011 at 12:48 PM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote