View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #93
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I always recommend or say to people, buy your device according to the books you like and their online store availability; the device it's just a tool, but the content, books, it's what really matters.

Having said that and if you are in Canada, I think Amazon Kindle will fulfill your needs.

Forget about epub format. I had a Nook, sold now. It's an awesome device but B&N epub books are DRM protected so you will end in a similar "close format" situation to Amazon Kindle vs AZW format.

Think about Kindle 3 as 1st option, then Nook.

PS: by the way, Kindle 3 supports PDFs in native format. You can also use it landscape mode or even zoom some portions of your documents, which right now is not possible with Nook and 1.5 firmware version. I know this by experience, not word of mouth or internet.

sigh

I think you miss the point on the nook and epub, yes the books you buy from the BN's bookstore are DRM'd epub that will only work with other nook devices and apps BUT which is a huge BUT it also accepts ePub, meaning you can shop anywhere on line including your own library to check out books.

You aren't restricted to one bookstore. and while technically you aren't with the kindle either because it accepts Mobi, the fact remains mobi is basically a dying format and ePub is by far and away the most used format. It's not even close to the number of outlets of ePub vs mobi.

Mobi is like betamax back in the early 80's

that's the difference between the kindle and the nook and other epub devices like the kobo, , the sony etc.

Last edited by boswd; 12-09-2010 at 02:28 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote