View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #73
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I've never got a paper cut from a book... had no idea it's even possible.
Oh yes! It is very possible. You are very, very lucky or blessed with very thick skin (literally!).

In college I majored in English and therefore spent quite a bit of time in the library. It did not take long for me to start carrying disinfectant, ointment, and band-aids with me all the time. Especially if I cut myself on a book in the old stacks in the morning by the time I made it home at the end of the day it would be infected, red, swollen, and quite miserable. The newer books were not so bad for infected cuts, but those old thick pages were the bad. New books were mostly sharp & thin cuts. I do not have as many book caused papercuts these days, but trying to eat lunch, hold a playing baby, have 2 cats trying for lap space & attention, and read a few pages all the same time is not exactly graceful and when the book falls it can slice you on the way down. If my big 17 lbs cat decides the hand holding the book needs to be petting him, the book is going flying when he starts pushing with his huge head.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote