View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 12:43 PM   #77
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by spideog View Post
So what methods of trying to persuade the publishers to change their methods would you propose then?

I think it was you that mentioned the likes of blogs and twitter in a previous post, using the Amazon ratings is really just another variation of that same theme.

Emailing the publishers will most likely just end up in their spam box.

Writing a letter to them is possibly more likely to be noticed than emails, but that is a whole other level of effort and very few people would bother.

Any other suggestions?
I've e-mailed publishers before and received responses. Somtimes useless, often useful. For example, I e-mailed a small mass market publisher because they didn't have e-books available. I got a personal reply that said they would forward my e-mail to one of the higher-ups because they were trying to push him toward having e-books available. Another time, I contacted a huge worldwide publisher about a paperback with slightly bad binding, and they sent me a new copy of the book, and their expense.

If a publisher has a contact address on their web site, and customers' e-mails keep ending up in their spam box, then their IT people are doing something wrong. I'm not saying all publishers respond to e-mails, but someone should at least try sending them an e-mail.

On the other hand, I can't imagine publishing higher-ups reading one-star Amazon reviews to find out if people disliked the format and price. When would they have the time? Maybe if someone pointed out the reviews and discussions to them, they'd pay attention. Until then, a lot of executives probably don't know they exist. (Sadly, execs tend to be the last people to hear about stuff like this. )
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote