View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 06:17 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
1. I like the yes/no/not-set model, but then again I'm a programmer. Perhaps if it was presented to the user as something like yes/no/maybe or yes/no/NA?
Interesting idea. It makes the screen a bit less visually appealing because of the extra data, but that is OK. What about 'yes/no/?' ? Searching for col:? would then do what is expected.
Quote:
2. Yes. If I've removed a column from the GUI, that means I don't need or want to deal with it, and that includes having it sneak back in via the tags browser.
That is what I thought, which is why I asked the question.
Quote:
How are you handling the matter of Sony collections?
Kovid suggested that the existing mechanism in the device plugin configuration be extended. Currently the box for my Sony 300 includes the ability to make collections from any of tags, series, and author. This list would be extended to include the text custom columns. If the column is multiple, then all the 'tags' in that column will become collections. If the column is single, then each individual value will become a collection.

I don't know when the plugins will be enhanced in this way.
Quote:
And I like rtype's idea about the bulk check-off very much.
Hmmm ... Perhaps I can do this with the right-click context menu. It doesn't kill the selection.
Quote:
One thing to consider: how are you going to explain this to people who don't really have any conceptual model for what a database table is, what a field is, etc.?
Most people understand spreadsheets and their columns, and this isn't all that different. However, I almost certainly won't be writing the manual text for it (I know from long experience that I write bad manuals), so the right answer is I don't know.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote