View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfp View Post
1. When syncing a book to a device, wouldn't it be nice to have the progress report display in the little cell next to the book name, rather than in the jobs windows. This would use the empty space that exists near to the book name when it is not on the device yet.
It would be nice. I hope when Kovid moves from function to beautification that he recalls this idea. But nothing in the forum is an actual request. To make sure it doesn't fall through the cracks between now and then, submit an enhancement request. Please be detailed, a mock-up image helps break through any confusion the the written word might induce.

Quote:
2. Could we have an option to use Ctrl+Action for shortcuts? I feel uncomfortable with the current shortcuts...
I don't see the need but since you do your best bet is the following. One submit a actual enhancement request. Two, run calibre from source and see if you can figure out out these changes might be implemented and submit the needed code with your request.

Quote:
3. Would it be possible to have a sync mode, with which the library is mirrored onto the device?
I believe a ticket has been submitted for this. With all of the reader configurations this most likely will be limited.

Quote:
4. Could the enter key open ebooks for visualization, in the same way as the enter key opens pdf/html/word for visualization in explorer/nautilus/etc. ?
I went forever never actually pressing enter while in explorer. Now that I know it works I'll probably not do it again for a while. Seems like a reasonable request, submit a ticket.

Quote:
5. Wouldn't it be better if the reset quick search button was hidden when no search is active?
No, but I admit ignorance in this area. Submit a ticket.

Quote:
6. What about having an "advanced search" button rather than an explanatory text in the search box on how to make an advanced search?
What's wrong with the advanced search button we have now?

Quote:
7. Could the donation button be moved to the right (maybe?) on the bar? I find it disturbing also that in blinks when hovered, but that's only me I guess.
Where it resides is of little concern, but you can turn off animation in the preferences.

Quote:
8. Wouldn't it be cool to have the library/device display as tabs rather than buttons?
No. Six of one half a dozen of the other but not cool one way or the other.

Quote:
9. Would it be possible to use the icons from the Tango icons set? If not, what about
9.1 Using a newspapers icon for the news sources (we could have the same with an update sign for the update toolbar button.
9.2 Using a program icon (window icon for example) for the editors filter
9.3 Using a .doc/.epub/.any icon for the formats filter and so on?
Anything is possible.

Quote:
10. What is the little question button in the window frame in the categories dialog? When clicked, it simply shows a forbidden sign whichever control you hover.
Getting a little snarky now aren't you? When I found it I laughed out loud. This is obviously a not yet implemented help button. Asking this question is not a suggestion, it's just petty.

Quote:
11. It might be only me, but I feel very uncomfortable with the fact that in the settings dialog for example, the categories buttons are huge and have large spacing, while the buttons in settings dialogs are all tiny...
You stumped me, I have no idea what you're referring to.

Quote:
12. I find the "save search" button quite confusing, I though a floppy was the default for the save action...
What's a floppy? How does this floppy relate to searches?

Quote:
13. For the save search feature, we could perhaps have just a save button, and then an input asking for a name under which to save the search? Then the saved search list could be made a simple dropdown, and not a combo-box?
Interesting, submit a ticket.

Quote:
14. Would it be possible to reduce the memory footprint of all those worker threads?
Would it be possible is a non question. The answer is virtually always YES. Anything IS possible. Of course if it bothers you, you can always choose fewer worker threads in the preferences - advanced area.

Quote:
15. Could there be a default subitem for items in the context menu? I keep clicking on those items and then feeling stupid because it's not doing anything...
Does the submenu not extend automatically before you can click on the unclickable? Feeling stupid, humbles us all, it's a good thing.

Quote:
16. On the edit metadata box, could there possibly be a text to indicate that there are different values for the selected books? As in mp3tag for example, where there are two special items added to the combo box when values differ for a fiels, < Keep >, and < Clear >. I find those very convenient
I'm not experienced with this, but it sounds useful. Submit a ticket.

Quote:
17. The delete key (at least for me, on windows 7) seems to delete the contents of a tag fiels, not delete the book. Is this normal?
No it's not normal. On my 32 bit WinXP machine the file is deleted.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-21-2010 at 01:07 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote