View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 08:58 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbax View Post
Though I would hope Amazon would consider adding these features in a future automatic firmware update:

- There should be an open RSS aggregator, one that updates feeds when the user is active or that can automatically pull feeds every once in a while and certain feeds can be set to make the device beep or display an alert when there is a new item.
They are charging for the RSS feed. They would have to give that up to do what you want.

Quote:
- One should be able to drag and drop PDF, DOC, TXT, HTML or any other such formats onto it using the USB cable, or download from other services on the Internet and it should work directly. It could offer the Amazon Kindle conversion for a fee like it does through the Kindle email, but it should be able to upload the text file from the device, store it in the cloud and pull it back on demand.
I suspect the the Windows Mobi Reader can be pressed into this service easily. It can already convert all of the files you listed and it can already make a file that Kindle can read so all that is required is to make it recognize the reader is attached. An easy task.

Quote:
- Google Blog Search, Google News (Amazon could auto-reformat web news pages to display with ebook optimized adds in cooperation with the websites that are linked to from Google News, thus there should be an ebook optimized Google News interface), Google Reader type of RSS aggregator, Gmail and other Google apps should work on this.

- The full web browser and Wikipedia could be part of such a full Internet data plan, one where Amazon could charge money per MB or per GB packages that one wishes to use to download data over the wireless connection that isn't content that Amazon can earn money on directly. So for example I wouldn't mind paying 1 or a few dollars per GB over this full Internet access data plan. Thus alternative online book stores, audible.com, Google Booksearch should be accessible this way over the wireless connection and Amazon can charge reasonably priced data fees for that.
Full Wikipedia is free at this time but I suspect that other stuff will end up with a subscription of some kind.

Quote:
- An external USB keyboard is better to type long texts on this then the thumb keyboard. So unless the hardware does not make it possible, I think there should be somekind of way to put the device on the table with a kickstand or using a kickstand with the leathercase, and then unfold a full sized keyboard to enter text rapidly.
The only usb port they have is a slave port so this is not possible.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote