View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #13
Marty_B
Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
Add a viewer?
That's a rather non-trivial task, given the amount of formats it would have to handle and the complexity of getting it right. There's a reason for the dearth of epub and mobi viewers for metro.

I did think about that, but decided against it for two reasons:
1. This is a crazy complex task for one person, and I'd much rather have no viewer than a terrible one;
2. For metro, there is a distinct advantage to not having an incorporated viewer due to the fact that two apps can share a screen. That way, the library app can run in snapped mode, while a reader app can run alongside it. That solution, in my mind, is more satisfying than an integrated one that runs between views. What we need is a good app that serves as a viewer for multiple formats, but I'm probably not the guy to write it. At the same time, for a number of formats, the viewers we have are perfectly acceptable: my calibre viewer app works very nicely with the integrated PDF viewer. Viewers are available for other formats that are good enough. Much as yourself, though, I am waiting for a good one that can handle multiple formats.

That is to say that even if I were to write a document viewer, it would be as a separate app, due to the ability of the system to run two alongside each other and the advantages inherent to that. And I'd be happy to help with that, but there's relatively little chance of me accomplishing that on my own.
Marty_B is offline   Reply With Quote