View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #13
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I read across digital and print media but I don't do audio books. I can't stand the idea of spine cracking, dogearing, or writing in my books - but with DTBs I just stick a book mark in the place I have "notes" for.

I guess my idea of "notes" is pretty loose. When writing notes in digital media I've usually stuck to my general feelings (comments like "meh," etc), bookmarks and highlighting. Highlighting is VERY helpful for me. I usually don't get in-depth until I'm actually ready to write my review (cause otherwise I would be the queen of nitpicking). At that time I use a mess of whatever happens to be near me and a computer.

I LOVE in-device dictionaries! They really are my best friend. The Kobo phone app also has access to Wikipedia which is GREAT when I'm reading books that make unfamiliar cultural references.

I keep Goodreads updated so much just for my own personal information. This is the first year I've actually tracked what I've read. I'm really interested in the data I'll have complied at the end of the year.
Hi MrsJoseph, thanks for the reply. Interesting to hear your feedback, even though it wasn't totally germane to the topic - though perhaps insight to your use case might put the review in context.

I'm curious now, these reviews you are writing where would one find these (particularly because I believe you said you are a fantasy/scifi fan)? Also I saw that you've read 126 books so far this year - I hope some of those are on the lighter side because that is rather impressive with it only being August going on September.

Also be interested to see how you find the Goodreads experiment at the end of the year. As I said I personally (though I do, do it occasionally) didn't see much value in updating between start and finish - just too much work. Only thing I see you'd get would be the variable rate of reading (maybe see you get more reading done on a Wednesday or something), be interested to see your thoughts on its value verse effort when your year is done.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote