View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
[QUOTE=iain robinson;2122007]Thanks for your reply JSWolf.

What exactly did you change in the code? I see you changed the font-weight to "normal" when I declared the font, rather than "600". As I said I copied that from the Google Web Fonts site (where the fonts came from) - I can't say I'd ever seen font weights expressed like that in CSS before but I assumed they knew best. I'll try it your way and see if it makes a difference.

I use Chrome as an alternative to ADE as it uses the webkit rendering engine the same as iBooks. I don't always have access to an iPad and I know the iPad will make-up a sizeable proportion of the audience for this title. You think it is not similar enough to be worthwhile?

The semi-bold is the only font I have embedded. I do have a bold variety but it is not embedded or referenced anywhere in the file.

Quote:
In the opf file is the line <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

I take it you are suggesting changing it to
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8 without BOM" standalone="yes"?>
and then the same in the ncx file etc? I'm at home so can't do it at the moment - what is that doing exactly?
I'm suggesting you install Notepad++ and load every text file (OPF, CSS, XML, ncx) into Notepad++ and check the encoding. Notepad++ has an encoding menu that has nothing to do with the encoding that you are talking about. Notepad++ supports tabs, so you can load everything at once and close each tab as you finish.

As for the font, I can give it a go and see what happens with ADE. ADE does not support font-weight commands that specify an actual weight. I have no idea if iBooks would or not. But the way to do it is to have the different font styles for that font family that you will need. I will give that font a go in ADE and see how it looks. I can also try it in iBooks and Bluefire and see how they both look on an iPad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote