View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 07:08 AM   #55
Lo Zeno
Addict
Lo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura about

Device: Hanlin V3 (with lBook firmware & OpenInkPot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just like the Windows Mobile SDK only runs on a Windows platform. Really, this is hardly a surprise, given that iOS is a cut-down version of OS/X.
I'm not saying that that's unique or a bad thing, just that the iOS isn't the most open because there are others more open than that.

For example you can develop apps for the new BlackBerry SDK and for Android using anything: MAC, Windows, Linux... your computer just needs to be able to run any (any, not just a specific one) Java IDE.
And I think that developing apps for Symbian, too, doesn't limit you to one OS.

Edit: And just to clarify, I don't think that Android is the most open either. Despite allowing some more tinkering more easily, it has a few limits too.
E.g: you can freely upload your app to your device, without paying any fee or creating any accoutn on Android Market, but you can develop using ONLY Java or C++ (and only stripped down versions of the two languages), while for example if I want to develop any application for Windows Mobile I can use almost any programming language that I know, and I do not have to stick to one graphical presentation tool only.

Last edited by Lo Zeno; 07-08-2010 at 07:12 AM.
Lo Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote